Saturday, February 6, 2010

an apple a day makes me want to cry.

How do I manage to fuck up everything that Mac creates?

Seriously. It's like I have this magical talent to screw up Apple products. Products that are supposed to be unscrewable.

I know unscrewable isn't a word, and is probably how must dudes feel about me, but let's just keep the lid tightly vacuumed-sealed on that can of worms right now.

First it was sophomore year when I got a crash course in Mac for an online magazine I was writing for. The instructor was all "Macs are the best computer because Steve Jobs has a penis made out of gold blah blah blah Macs never freeze up like Windows" which is about the time I got the Spinning Beach Ball of Doom on the computer I was using.

Being an avid Windows user (only because I'm too poor to purchase a MacBook), I gave the guy a How-Now-Brown-Cow look. He freaked out and was like "This never happens" to which I replied coolly, "Yeah, about that."

Fast-forward to the present and my THIRD attempt to download iTunes 9 to my computer because irrational, irresponsible me bought an iTouch today because people in WalMart made me angry enough to blow $295. And, just to make sure that none of my tax refund survives this weekend, I also bought an external hard drive because I have Windows and unlike greater-than-thou Macs, Windows crashes. A lot. And I have a lot of shit on this computer that I don't want to lose.

So, got my new iTouch, plug it into my computer, do a little dance because I'm six-year-old-with-a-new-bike-for-Christmas excited, and then my computer tells me to download iTunes 9. Fine. No big deal. I've been needing to do that for awhile anyway.

Three hours and a headache later, I'm on my THIRD download of the damn program since it refuses to install on my cheap ass, not a MacBook computer.

WHAT IN THE HELL DID I EVER DO TO YOU STEVE JOBS?!?!?!?

Update. Upon trying to install my third update of the damn iTunes 9, I get this message: "The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect."

WHAT THE FUCK DOES THAT MEAN?!

I'm taking the iPod back and getting a Zune.

3 comments:

Frizz said...

I had to use Macs for my Educational Media 2 class last semester, which made doing all of those stupid required projects REALLY fun since there was only one Mac lab on campus and almost none of the education majors had one of their own, and we were all constantly cramming in there to finish those damn projects.

Personally, if you're into creating movies and slideshows and all of that, I can see where a Mac would be a good investment. But otherwise, the world runs on the PC.

And I HATE those "I'm a Mac" "And I'm a PC" commercials. They're the reason I refuse to even try Apple products (setting aside the fact that I'm cheap).

Stephen K said...

Haha, I'm sorry you're having these problems, C. But Zunes suck, don't do it! I myself have the talent for breaking Apple products first time then on the replacement model rendering unto them the gift of eternal life! As a case in point, I got the 2nd Gen iPod back in 2004, the one before colour (yeah I'm old. What?) and it had bugs for a while and broke a year later in 2005. But I've had the replacement one SINCE then! I don't even want to upgrade because I figure it's served me so loyally for years it deserves the same treatment.

crystal said...

Shawna - There's only a handful of Macs on my campus, which makes me pity the poor photojournalism and news students. Macs are super cool, but you're right about the world running on PCs.

And I like the "I'm a Mac" commercials... but that's just because I have a thing for Justin Long.

Stephen - Sounds like you have the kind of luck with iPods that I do with cell phones. I say hang on to that puppy as long as you can. And if the battery goes bad, they're not too pricey to have replaced.