Wednesday, May 27, 2009

it's like you're always stuck in second gear

Instead of trying to relearn HTML and all that for this blog, I finally tracked down a program that does all the work for you. Ah, laziness. The American way.

http://www.wannabegirl.org/firdamatic/

That's what I done this page with. The code seems pretty basic, which means that I should be able to tweak it at some later date without too much headache.

I've spent a couple hours today with a map of New York and a pack of markers, trying to figure out where various locations (okay, clothing stores) are. I have decided that my phrase for the NYC trip will be "Where in the fuck is (whatever street we are looking for)." The inflection will be most prominent on the "in" and the "fuck" I'm pretty sure. And I feel that if I speak in this manner, I will be thought of as a regular New Yorker who just happens to lack a sense of direction.

I did find the location of a very important building that I want to visit while I'm in New York:


So look around, you guys. This was your first home. And it was a happy place. Full of love, and laughter. But more important, because of rent control, it was a friggin' steal!
- Chandler, Friends, The Last One

Yes, I consider the building where the characters from Friends lived to be an important building. Sadly, this is one of the things I am looking most forward to seeing on the trip. Well, this and about a million other things. I kind of want to go through all my books that take place in New York and look the restaurants, buildings, and stores up to see 1) if they even exist and 2) where they are located. Then when I can get back and have my pictures put on Facebook, I can be like, "And here I am at some random location that Heather Wells was at in Size 12 is Not Fat.

Poor Jessica
(my travel buddy and Hanson concert partner-in-crime) has no idea what she's in for.

And, totally random: my cat is asleep at the foot of my bed and I am not lying one little bit when I say that she is snoring... louder than most humans.

No comments: