Wednesday, June 10, 2009

sing a song

I keep thinking that if I ignore my Facebook invitation to my fifth year high school reunion, it will just go away after a few days like an annoying cough.

It's not the whole "I'm-getting-so-old-woe-is-me" thing, it's the "It's-only-been-five-years-give-me-some-time-to-accomplish-something-and-besides-I-don't-like-most-of-you-guys-I-graduated-with-anyway" thing. And the bulk of the people I graduated with that I actually do care about, are at Western. There's, like, five people I'd like to see outside of that. And a few of them are in the military so what are the odds that they'll be able to show up anyway?

Alright, so I'm a Negative Nancy. Sue me.

Meh. Enough of that. Onto more important things, like making a list of the best (read: my favorite) songs from movies.

1 - "Somebody to Love" - Anne Hathaway, featured in Ella Enchanted
Yes, this is a cover of the classic Queen hit. Yes, it's from a crappy movie. Yes, I own the movie and watch it occasionally. And yes, Anne Hathaway really does sing it. Not only that, she sings it well. Plus, this is one of my favorite Queen songs. Other favorites include "Bicycle Race" and "Bohemian Rhapsody", which brings me to song numero dos...

2 - "Bohemian Rhapsody" - Queen, featured in Wayne's World
I can't be sure, but I'm pretty sure this is how I found out about Queen. And, really, is there a better way to learn about that band than from a movie based on a Saturday Night Live skit starring Mike Meyers before he became Austin Powers? The answer is no, there is no better way to discover Queen than through this outlet.

3 - All the music from the most recent Pride and Prejudice movie
I'm usually not into instrumental music. I crave lyrics, even if they are stupid (I'm looking at you, Tinted Windows and your song "Cha Cha"), but the soundtrack to Pride and Prejudice is just beautiful. Especially "Can't Slow Dawn" and "Georgiana". Go listen. Seriously, go now. I'll wait here patiently for you to return.

4 - "Top of the World" - The Juliana Theory, featured in the made-for-Disney-TV-movie, Motocrossed
This movie marks the very first time I ever heard The Juliana Theory. This song remains one of my favorite, and not just of The Juliana Theory's. This movie is also really cute. In an odd way. The more I think about it, the more disturbing it becomes, actually. Let's move on...

5 - "Catch a Falling Star" - Block, featured on Never Been Kissed
This song is also found in The Princess Diaries, but by a different artist (you know what else is found in The Princess Diaries? Robert Schwartzman!). This makes it my belief that this song is any movie that Garry Marshall has directed or been cast in. Have I mentioned that it's one of my dreams to become an actress and star in Garry Marshall directed film? Because it totally is one of my dreams.

6 - "Hold On" - Wilson Phillips, featured hysterically in Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle
If you haven't seen this, please go to YouTube immediately and watch the clip. You will laugh like a rabid hyena. And, if you don't, then you have no soul. You know what? I can't wait for you to go to YouTube:



...

You know what, I can't top that clip.

No comments: